Job ID 3401
Experience Less Than 1 Year
Our client is looking for an experienced Construction Buyer to join their growing team in the North West, supporting the estimating and contracts department.
- Full time, permanent
- £30,000 – £40,000 per annum, depending on experience
Please Note: Applicants must be authorised to work in the UK
Our client is a multidisciplinary construction company that has been trading successfully for over 40 years. They focus on civil engineering but undertake a wide variety of works from civils, utilities, demolition and industrial building to refurbishments and internal fit outs.
They work primarily for the utility industry and have secured several long-term frameworks with national clients that they have worked with for over 30 years.
About the role:
As Construction Buyer, you will support the estimating and contracts department, taking ownership of the procurement of goods, material and plants to meet commercial requirements, keeping in line with projected budgets.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining/developing supplier relationships
- Managing the day-to-day procurement of all sub-contractors, taking responsibility for negotiating and securing sub-contract services on time, to specification and for the best possible value.
- Ensuring material and plant requisitions are processed in a timely and professional manner and purchased with approved suppliers at the most competitive rates
- Liaising with the commercial team on the cost and lead time of materials
- Finalising delivery dates and monitor the progress
- Maintaining sufficient stock levels for upcoming projects
- Hiring and off hiring of plant
- Negotiating improved supplier terms
- Reporting movements in price and terms to estimators/contracts managers
- Reviewing invoice queries and liaising with concerned parties to resolve/respond to disputes
- Updating and maintaining supplier database
- Analysing processes and improving where necessary to ensure continuous improvement in department performance
- Experience as a Buyer with a proven track record of working in a similar role
- Previous experience within the construction sector
- CIPS Qualification desirable but not essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sound knowledge of IT systems and be fully conversant with Microsoft office/Excel
- Good analytical skills and the ability to manage and prioritise tasks to meet deadlines
- Strong commercial awareness, a measured approach to decision making and the ability to ensure best value procurement
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Family feel within a growing company
- Fantastic career progression
- Professional training/support to achieve qualifications
- 31 days holiday including bank holidays
- Employee assistance programme
- Free tea/coffee making facilities